Monday, January 27, 2014

Meet the Team: Nala

Introducing Nala, our Ambassador of Adorable!




Q. Nala, what is your primary role at Lake Washington Sports & Spine?

A. Roof, roof
----------

Q. Our Dog-lish is a little bit shaky. Are you ok speaking in English?

A. Not a problem.  I'm bi-lingual
-----------

Q. What breed are you?

A. Cockapoo- 1/2 Cocker Spaniel, 1/2 Poodle
----------

Q. Does that mean you don't shed?

A. That's correct

-----------
Q. As "Ambassador of Adorable", what do you actually do at Lake Washington Sports & Spine?

A. Officially, I greet patients who want to be greeted, bring positive energy to the practice, and help maintain a sense of calm to help facilitate better care.  On a practical level, I mostly nap.
------------
Q. Do you actually think you make a difference in improving health care outcomes?

A. My humans tell me that I do.  I am not a pooch to quote the literature too often, but I do like to remind Garrett and Gary about the research showing that involving a dog in therapeutic practice does lower sympathetic drive, lower blood pressure, and improve outcomes for patients with pain and/or anxiety.  But I find that walking around and looking cute seems to drive home the point without having to act like Cliff Claven spouting facts left and right.

------------
Q. What about patients that don't like dogs?

A. We welcome everyone.  We have a system in place where we can make a note to that effect in the chart, that way we make sure that you don't feel like your personal space is invaded.  I'm here to spread joy and good cheer, so I promise I won't cause you any agitation.

--------
Q. Any suggestions for those who want to learn more about the health benefits of involving a dog in their medical care?


No comments:

Post a Comment