Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Meet the Team: Laura Cassidy



How did you become interested in Health, Wellness and Fitness?
My interest originated from my involvement in sport.  My parents started me with softball at a young age, but my true sporting passion was field hockey (I played at the high school and collegiate level).  Athletics taught me the importance of staying fit and sparked my interest in studying human movement and exercise physiology.  I went on to earn a BS in Kinesiology and now work for two wonderful musculoskeletal physicians! 

What are your favorite aspects of working in small, intimate practice?
Flexibility and opportunity. 

I appreciate being able to implement changes and watch them in action.  Whether it’s a tweak to our patient policies, adding a blog to our website or researching and providing training tools to keep our employees happy and motivated, my position at LWSS allows me the freedom to do so.  My position here has also given me the opportunity for personal and professional growth beyond my expectation.

What's your favorite form of exercise?
I couldn’t pick just one!  I enjoy running (I completed my first marathon in October), heated Vinyasa yoga and pilates.  I like to vary my routine and keep challenging myself.

What is your favorite way to integrate a healthy lifestyle into your work day?
Personally, I find that exercising in the morning before work is the best way to start the day.  While at the office, I make sure to drink a lot of water, eat small meals with a good balance of protein/ carbs and stretch multiple times to keep energized.

How would you define the brand at Lake Washington Sports & Spine?
The LWSS brand is all about providing targeted, high-quality, effective musculoskeletal care.  Our clinic takes great pride in the fact that we are a small, physician-owned business.  What that means for our patients is that they’ll never have to deal with a phone tree, they’ll be greeted by the same warm, friendly faces each time they visit our office and most importantly they will have access to physicians who are able to utilize their skills and knowledge without the constraints inherent in a large system. 


You have worked in other physician offices, including other Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation offices, before.  What makes Lake Washington Sports & Spine different?
Our positive culture, for sure. 

What are the deliberate tactics you use to foster that positive culture?
The positive culture at LWSS is directly related to our promotion of personal accountability.  Our culture revolves around being the best person/employee you can be every day, which means taking ownership of mistakes, asking for help when necessary and being a supportive team player.  It’s not necessary to be a manager or a physician to be a leader; LWSS functions so well because each of our employees is a leader in their own role.

You yourself enjoy being active.  What are the things you seek in a physician as an active, athletic professional, and how does Lake Washington Sports & Spine succeed in providing that kind of service?
Choosing a physician is a difficult task and more complex than simply choosing a doctor alone.  Personally, I make my decision based on three factors: the physician, their schedule and their office staff.

 First, I look for a physician with solid experience in his/her specialty, good bedside manner and most importantly someone I feel comfortable with. 

Second, I like to check the doctor’s availability.  Do they have convenient hours?  Is the wait time for an appointment reasonable? I appreciate someone who is flexible.

Last but not least is the physician’s office staff.  It’s so important to me that staff is friendly and competent.  Fantastic staff is the cherry on the sundae!

What advantages are there for patients in having 2 physicians, Dr. Hyman and Dr. Chimes, who are both boarded in Sports Medicine, perform spine injections, perform nerve tests, perform musculoskeletal ultrasound, and experts in exercise?
Well, quite simply, two (brains) are better than one! 

Although Drs. Hyman and Chimes are both physiatrists, they each have areas of expertise, specialization and personal interest.   Having two high-caliber physicians in our office allows patients to benefit from each physician’s depth of knowledge.  The doctors often discuss challenging patients, share interesting ultrasound findings and use each other as a sounding board.

Do you feel empowered to help mold the practice to improve the patient experience?
Absolutely!!

No comments:

Post a Comment