Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tips for Flying with Low Back Pain

Flying is one of the toughest activities for patients with low back pain.

In some upcoming posts, I will include a few exercises you can perform on the plane, particularly standing back extensions, proximal hamstring stretches, and hip flexor stretches.

This post will focus on making sure you have sufficient lumbar support.  Most (.... and my most, I mean all) airplane seats are not designed with the low back in mind.  I suggest using a lumbar support when flying - I usually use a cylindrical roll they sell at the magazine shops, often recommended for the neck.

I often forget to bring a lumbar support with me, though, so what I then recommend is using magazines in the airplane as a makeshift lumbar support roll.  I am a big guy, so I usually need 4 magazines, which usually includes the in-flight magazine and Skymall from both myself and neighbor.

The pictures included here are intended to show you how to make the lumbar support roll.



2 comments:

  1. I am going on a long trip next week, and the fight I am taking is a few hours. I'm nervous because I have some lower back pain. I'll have to try this magazine trick like you have pictured. Looks like it is a simple and easy way to support your back while sitting. Thanks for the great flying with back pain tip. http://thechicagofix.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete