Thursday, April 23, 2015

Meet the Team: James Kim!


What is your role on the Team at Lake Washington Sports & Spine? 
 I am Dr. Chimes's new medical assistant. I will help patients on their path to recovery and will do whatever I can to Keep People Active! 






As the newest member of our team, we’d love for our patients to get to know you better.  Can you tell us 5 facts about James?
1) I was a Peace Corps volunteer in the country of Armenia from 2011-2013. Ask me anything about the country itself, what the Peace Corps was like, or how to live without indoor plumbing!
2) I'm a new transplant to Seattle! I have previously lived in New York, Illinois, and New Orleans. I miss Zabar's, Portillo's, and weekly parades/festivals. 
3) I used to work in bicycle shops as a mechanic. Got bike issues? Let me know. 
4) The first time I ate raw cookie dough was in 2012.
5) I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to hula hoop. 


When did you first become interested in medicine (or why is the field of sports medicine appealing to you)?
As a child, I was encouraged (read: pushed) into studying for a career in either law or medicine. I was naturally inclined towards math and science, and liked figuring out how things work and how to fix them, so medicine seemed the right choice. Besides, I was never very good at arguing. Sports medicine appeals to me because I've always watched sports, as I grew up in Illinois during peak sports years, i.e. the Michael Jordan years. I'm also quite active myself, and am continually fascinated and amazed at the capability of the human body. 


What's your favorite form of exercise?
Nothing is more mind-clearing than shooting jumpers in an empty gym. 


Do you have a favorite professional athlete?  What qualities and characteristics does he possess that make him your favorite?
I don't have a single favorite, as there are too many great athletes with characteristics I really admire! But if I had to choose one sport and one position, I'd say Steve Nash for point guard. He was never the biggest, fastest, or quickest, but he put up historical numbers by working harder than most everyone else. He knew his advantages and refined them, constantly improved his problem areas, and at least once a game made you wonder "How did he do that?!" 


You are planning a career as a physical therapist.  What skills do you hope to learn here at LWSS before going to graduate school?

I hope to increase my base of knowledge in anatomy and physiology; learn more about diagnostic tests and techniques; and how to be a great medical professional overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment