Friday, February 7, 2014

What is your fitness age?

This is a really fun video with my good friend and colleague Chris Visco, who runs the Sports Medicine program at Columbia University in New York

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Wk2rYJLYg

The fitness calculator the video references can be found here: https://www.worldfitnesslevel.org/#/

I decided to try a little experiment- see what my fitness age is now, as a 40 year old living in Redmond, and compare it to how I was as as 38 year living in Pittsburgh.  The results?

Now- my actual age is 40 (.... or as my nephews/niece may say, 40 and 2/3), and my fitness age is 33

Back in Pittsburgh a few years ago, my age was 38, and my fitness age was 54

Wow- much bigger difference than I anticipated.  Even though I am 2 years older now, my "Fitness Age" is 21 years younger.  To what do I attribute the difference?

1. I exercise more.  I always believed in exercise, but I was only getting exercise in 2-3 times/ week before, and that may have been generous.  I now exercise every day, at minimum walking my dog Bucky for 30-60 minutes/ day, and often biking to work or hitting the gym

2. I don't drink alcohol anymore.  I was never a heavy drinker, but in retrospect I didn't metabolize it well, and I might as well have been drinking fruit punch or cola for all the calories I was taking in

3. I weigh a lot less, and lost 6 inches off my waist

4. I am much happier in my work life.  I found many things satisfying in both jobs, but I have far fewer sources of dissatisfaction.  Much of that I attribute to running my own practice, and having a partner I respect and I know is rooting for our mutual success.

My prediction when I moved to Redmond was that I was going to be adding 10 years to my life.  Looks like I aimed low.

No comments:

Post a Comment