Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Meet the Team: Shannon Mack!



-What is your role at LWSS?  What are some responsibilities​ your ​role ​​entails?
My role at LWSS is Dr. Hyman’s Medical Assistant.  Some of my responsibilities include greeting our patients with a smile and getting to know a little bit about them before they meet with Dr. Hyman; throughout the day, I follow up with patients via phone or email (I prefer to call, its more personal), assist Dr. Hyman when necessary during appointments, turnover exam rooms by cleaning and making sure that inventory is stocked, and help my team with some of their tasks. You will also find me petting Wynnie.
-Tell us a little about you ​and your path leading to LWSS: ​​where are you from originally, where did you go to school, and what drew you to Lake Washington Sports & Spine as a place to work?
What drew me to Lake Washington Sport & Spine started with the opportunity to be a part of a team that is focused on healthy, active lifestyles and helping people achieve just that. I was drawn in from the first opportunity I had to meet the LWSS staff and watched how they interacted with one another.
-Give us 5 fun facts about S.Mack!
I think ice cream tastes better during the winter!
Red is my FAVORITE color (although, I only have one red clothing item)
If I could have just one super power, I would definitely time travel
I am beyond thankful for GPS because maps confuse me
Every day, I take a moment to think about what I am thankful for; doing that really helps me to put life in perspective
-What is your favorite form of exercise?  How do you integrate it into your day?
I love running! It frees my mind and also gives clarity. I like to visualize my run throughout the day, especially if it is stressful. During the week, I prefer to run in the evenings as the day begins to cool. On the weekends, I try to hit the road early when it is still quiet and the air is fresh – after a cup of coffee of course!
-When did you become interested in medicine?  In what ways do you think your time at LWSS will impact your future as a nurse practitioner?
I have been interested in medicine ever since I was a child. I had an inspiring Pediatrician and a mom who always encouraged me to dream (she still does). I remember the moment when I decided I wanted to dedicate my life to serving others through medicine and that has motivated me through the years.  I believe LWSS will impact my future as a Nurse Practitioner in many positive ways – I am in an environment that challenges me to think critically, listen patiently, and reply thoroughly. These are skills that I feel are important for being successful as medical professional. The doctors also encourage you to think like a provider by asking questions related to each case and challenge you to consider other reasons for why and how a diagnosis could be obtained. There are so many learning opportunities here that are invaluable!
-Since you've worked in other clinics, can you provide some examples of what sets LWSS apart from other healthcare facilities?
LWSS is truly special. Dreams, goals, visions are not idle here – we all have them, from our staff to our patients, what we do here is “Keep People Active”  and you can see that demonstrated every day. The team here allows you to be yourself and encourages you to set specific goals. Because they are dedicated to seeing patients and staff succeed, they create a supportive and informative culture. From the moment you walk in, you can feel that you are in a place that creates exceptional and is dedicated to seeing patients rehab their injuries to achieve their goals! At LWSS, you are celebrated, encouraged, and set up to succeed.
-Can you give some examples of the types of patient interactions that drive your happiness at work?
I believe that laughter is necessary for healing; whenever I have a chance to laugh with a patient that makes me feel elated!
There is not a better feeling than hearing someone say ‘thank you’ after you have helped them with a need they have, such as, carrying an item or asking how their day is going. Taking one minute to be present with the patient and listen can be transformative in their experience - and mine.
I LOVE that we celebrate our patients who have completed their treatment with a graduation! In the midst of the cheer, I always look for the smile on their faces because you can see they are proud of what they did - and they trusted our team to help them get there!  


No comments:

Post a Comment